Well this morning is wacky because I was up at at 4am!! What what? I’m off to conference and I can’t wait!! I’m excited to hear explosive news about Steeped, meet up with some amazing people, and speak on a panel about social media!!
Since I woke up so early and I have a 7 hour drive ahead of me, I decided to mix the shake with four matchas for Wacky Wednesday. I mixed it with pineapple, strawberry, coconut and banana. It feels like I should be on a beach!!! It reminds me of a miami vice!!! Yum!!!
I may not get around to writing for Treat Thursday but I will try my best!! I will definitely drink the shakes (already packed) and will try my best to get to a computer tomorrow!! If not, I’ll still be able to give a final grade (even if it’s Saturday)–NO WORRIES!! I assume it’ll be high:)
OKAY STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING—really don’t even finish reading this because YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS CONCOCTION ASAP!!!
I mixed 1/2 tsp of coconut matcha and a 1/2 of tsp of pineapple matcha into this shake. It’s out of this world!!! One thing, I put the cap back on and you have to shake A LOT and really hard. I think my muscles will be sore, but it is worth it!! It tastes like a creamy, pina colada.
The premade shake is just as filling as the powder. I felt very good all day yesterday. I actually had two shakes yesterday and will have two again today (damn root canal), but yesterday I was barely hungry for dinner which is a MIRACLE!!
I LOVE PlantFusion.
We all know I’m absolutely obsessed with Plantfusion. A bunch of people told me to try an already made shake and I figured that was a good idea (hey it sure makes Mundane Monday easy). I was sooo excited to find this shake at Wegmans.
I do wish the nutrition was better (I was sad to read Dr. B’s analysis), but a B- isn’t that horrible (she’s given Fs before) and this shake TASTES AMAZING!!!
I will keep this in my fridge at all times for weekends! I am always running out the door to parties and never have time to make a shake. Well this amazing shake will rescue me many days.
The vanilla bean tastes exactly like vanilla bean ice cream. I could drink this every day. I think I may like this just as much as the Cookies and Cream flavor (I have to see if they make that premade as well).
I had a root canal today so I’m actually drinking my second one right now. I may even have a third one if my mouth hurts this much in a few hours:)
I’M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newsflash: PlantFusion makes a ready-to-drink version of their shake — and I cannot WAIT to review it!!
What’s In It?
- Stamped for approval in ALL main categories for a healthy beverage: gluten free (wheat free!), dairy free, rice free, soy free, vegan/no animal, making this a highly hypoallergenic formula (which means great for more people, and easy to digest and tolerate for those with allergies).
- Certified nonGMO, meaning there are no lingering genetically modified organisms in your beverage aka a super clean way to get your protein and nutrients!
- More protein than competitors, and less sugar = more of the good stuff (but not too much), and less of the bad stuff (the LESS sugar the better!)
- Protein in the formula is a clever combo of pea protein isolate (I do wish it wasn’t a processed isolate), artichoke (great source of nutrients and fiber as well), sprouted amaranth (power-grain), organic sprouted quinoa
Is there any sneaky stuff hiding in the formula?
- Alpha Galactosidase: what is this really long word? A super cool enzyme that helps break down and digest carbohydrate-rich foods especially cruciferous green veggies like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower which typically cause gas and bloating.
- Bromelain: I’ve RAVED before and I’ll RAVE again about this digestive enzyme from pineapple, chosen likely due to its super protective abilities which enhance digestion, calm inflammation, heal infections, mitigate joint pain, ease allergies, asthma and even speed up recovery post injury.
- Glycine: a muscle-building, brain-boosting amino acid that benefits your whole body! Great choice here. It also supports gut health, regeneration of collagen, promotes healthy sleep and calms the nerves. Ahhh…
- Selenomethionine: selenium is an awesome choice of trace mineral chosen to protect your heart, thyroid health aka metabolism and prevent cancer.
- Evaporated cane sugar: at least it is nonGMO sugar cane, but still…
- Certainly not an all organic formula, including synthetic vitamins such as their Vitamin E, Vitamin A as beta carotene, folic acid and cyanocobalamin (wish they used folate and methylcobalamin for higher quality and better absorption into the body instead!)
- Carrageenan: this thickening food additive, although derived from seaweed and seemingly innocent, can cause quite a few side effects including inflammation, insulin resistance, various digestive concerns, immune imbalance and even some types of cancer. Best to avoid products that contain it.
- Natural Flavor, Natural Vanilla Flavor and Natural Vanilla Non-Dairy Creme: what’s with all the flavoring? Did you know that ‘natural flavors’ are completely processed and made up of 100+ chemicals? How on earth can you call this natural?!
- Fructose: one of the WORST ways to sweeten a formula! Why’d they choose fructose?! You might be more familiar with the term high fructose corn syrup, because they are processed in the SAME way, and the liver must work extra hard to metabolize this type of sugar since our other cells cannot do it. When our cells cannot absorb or metabolize fructose or glucose, and have become resistant to insulin, we are setting up a metabolic storm: prediabetes, leaky gut, obesity, heart disease, increased cholesterol, high blood pressure, increased mercury levels, etc…. Too much fructose in your body also contributes to fatty liver disease, which is just one of the myriad of scary down-stream effects this type of fruit sugar can have on our physiology. Do not consume products with fructose if possible.
- Sunflower Oil: an inflammatory omega-6 oil that one should not be consuming on a regular basis, especially if we are to be eating clean diets that mitigate inflammation, aka with a Mediterranean-style diet packed with omega-3 fatty acids along with colorful fruits and veggies, fresh wild caught fish, raw nuts and seeds, avocados and olive oil (plus organic red wine and dark chocolate!!). YUM!
I feel that this is a REALLY tricky formula to evaluate. I really, REALLY wanted to fall in love with it, but the ready-made shake just isn’t quite all the powder was designed to be. I would have to grade this product a B- due to the long and intricate list of Con’s listed above, despite the fact that there were so many GREAT additions which tried to make this formula stand out from the crowd.
OVERALL GRADE: B-
WELL–I am obsessed with DoTerra oils!! I have used them for a while and love their smells and functionality as well! I was super excited when I found out DoTerra had a shake. I know Dr. B. is a fan of oils too, so I figured this shake may have gotten a better grade from her, but clearly I was wrong (not the first time but don’t tell my husband that)!
- Nutrition (C-): Dr. B. gave it a C-. As I said I was surprised about this grade, but I trust Dr. B. about EVERYTHING!!
- Cost (A): It looks like for 40 servings this shake costs less than $40! My goal is always to find a shake that costs about $1/serving. I also am amazed that this is so cheap coming from a direct sales company (as they tend to be higher costs).
- Taste (A-): I definitely liked the taste of this shake. I don’t know if it is anything to write home about, but it’s a super mild vanilla taste that mixes well with almost anything!!
- Filling (A-). This shake was definitely filling! I never felt the need to have lunch all week (of course I did), but it wasn’t necessary. I have had more filling shakes before, but this definitely is up there in filling factor.
- Energizing (B+). This shake did energize me (which was a very big relief after last week of having no energy). I have definitely had more energizing shakes, but my energy was pretty impressive all week even though I had the kids home all week (and that is saying a lot).
- Total Score (B+). This shake is definitely a very good alternative! I also got some other flavors that I can’t wait to try! I am not surprised I like this shake considering how much I love the oils!
Well today was an extra special day–my baby boy graduated from preschool!! To celebrate I made him his favorite cookies that we used to make all the time with Shakeology.
This is a Shakeology recipe but I used DoTerra instead. I mixed 1/2 cup all natural almond butter, 1/4 cup raw honey, 1/2 cup chopped raw almonds (I put them in food processor), 2.5 scoops of Vanilla powder, and 2 tbsp chocolate chips (I only had Christmas ones left so hopefully they are still good in June:). Anyway you mix all together and make into little balls or cookies. THESE TASTE AMAZING–really with any vanilla protein powder.
I feel great on this shake still! YYAYAY!
OMG!! I made the best recipe!! Last week, I didn’t like the shake but LOVED the recipe book that came with the shakes!
I was excited to try this recipe because I LOVE what it says about matcha!! I didn’t know how it would taste…but needed to try!!
WOW this is amazing!!! It tastes like banana foster (I used banana matcha but I think coconut would be amazing too)!
Today I felt pretty full. I ate lunch at around 2pm and only felt a little bit hungry prior to 2. That being said, I did my personal best on the Peleton today and burned 60 calories more than usual!
In addition, I also felt a lot of energy!!!
I feel great with DoTerra and will definitely use this recipe often!!